OFFICE OF DISASTER MANAGEMENT
The Office of Disaster Management (ODM) coordinates the implementation of Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) in the Commonwealth of Dominica through the National Emergency Planning Organization (NEPO), a governmental organization with responsibility for the planning and organization of counter-disaster measures at central level. This is done in collaboration with national, regional, and international stakeholders from the public sector, private sector, and civil based organizations.
The ODM is responsible for coordination of disaster programing in all phases of the disaster management cycle:
Prevention and Mitigation:
- Conducting hazard, vulnerability, and risk assessments,
- Developing and implementing prevention and mitigation strategies
- Prioritizing and implementing prevention and mitigation activities.
- Develop and maintain an updated National Disaster Plan,
- Develop and maintain a National Emergency Operations Center,
- Inform and educate the population on threats and counter disaster measures,
- Train disaster service agencies and the public in counter disaster techniques,
- Test and exercise the National Disaster Plan,
- Maintain an optimal state of national preparedness.
- Install and maintain Early Warning Systems
- Coordinate evacuation of hazard areas
- Coordinate emergency support functions
- Support the restoration of economic and social activities
- Support the repair and reconstruction of emergency systems
- Support the national recovery efforts
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE OFFICE OF DISASTER MANAGEMENT“The Office of Disaster Management is committed to taking pro-active and timely measures to prevent or reduce the impact of disasters on the Dominican people and Economy through its efficient staff and collaborative efforts with National, Regional and International Agencies”.
The ODM is a division within the Ministry of National Security and Home Affairs.
Honourable Rayburn Blackmoore
Minister for National Security and Home Affairs
Ms. Jo-Anne Commodore
Permanent Secretary Ministry of National Security and Home Affairs
Mr. Fitzroy Pascal
National Disaster Coordinator Office of Disaster Management
- Prevention, Mitigation, Preparedness, Planning & Projects Officer
- Training, Public Information & Education Officer
- Admin & Logistics Officer
- Field Officer
- Admin Secretary
- Heavy Equipment Operator & Groundsman
- Driver/ Messenger
THE ODM SYSTEM
The Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) activities of the ODM are implemented through the support of the District Disaster Management Committees Mechanism. There are seven (7) Disaster Districts and the Kalinago Territory comprising of numerous communities.
- Portsmouth (Northern) District
- St. Joseph (Western) District
- Roseau (South Western) District
- Grandbay (Southern) District
- La Plaine (South Eastern) District
- Castle Bruce (Eastern) District
- Marigot (North Eastern) District
- Kalinago Territory