Hurricane Season Reminders
By now… all should have made the necessary preparations for the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
- Pay close attention to the information provided by the Met Service and the ODM. We all know the uncertainty associated with forecasting intensity, movement and impact of weather systems. Staying informed is a critical part of your preparedness activity over the next few days and throughout the hurricane season.
- Take the time to check your homes – roof, windows, doors and cut overhang trees. Clear drains and waterway around your home.
- Be mindful that flash flooding and landslides are possible during times of heavy rainfall. Landslides are highly likely as we are coming out of a relatively dry period where grounds may be compromised or developed cracks.
- Stay alert during times of heavy rainfall. People who live along waterways including rivers and ravines should be vigilant and be aware of their surroundings during rain events. Be ready to move to a safe area if rising water is observed.
- Ensure that important documents are protected in water proof containers in the event of flooding
- Check on your emergency kit and ensure it has the necessary supplies, medication, water, mask, sanitizer among others
- Use road ways and especially bridges with caution during the wet spells and be aware of water-covered roads and bridges.
- Avoid areas subject to flash flooding and do not attempt to cross rivers. Just 6 inches of fast-moving water can knock you down and 1 foot of fast moving water can sweep your vehicle away
- Be mindful of flying debris during times of gusty winds especially across road ways and in elevated areas.
- Take the time to know where your emergency shelter is located
- Make advance plans when there is a threat of severe weather.
For preparedness information go to the ODM website: odm.gov.dm | facebook page: ODMDominica1 | call ODM Telephone: (767) 266-4412 .
BE PREPARED! BE SAFE!