The Tropical Storm Warning and Hurricane Watch remains in effect for Dominica.
A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected within the warning area, generally within 12 hours in this case.
A hurricane watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch area generally within 12 hours in this case.
At 11pm, the center of Hurricane Tammy was located near latitude 14.7 North, longitude 60.2 west or about 88 miles east southeast of Dominica. Tammy is now moving at 9mph towards the west northwest.
Maximum sustained winds are near 80 mph. Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 125 miles from the center while hurricane force winds extend outward up to 25 miles.
Estimated earliest arrival of tropical storm force winds is 10pm on Friday 20th October 2023.
- Tammy has shown no significant increase in its forward trajectory;
- Tammy has shown no significant organization from the last update. The eye continues to be not very well defined as it was at 10am when it was classified as a hurricane.
- Tammy is still expected turn northerly continues to be delayed and not as pronounced;
- Most of the stronger winds and heavy rains remain in the northeastern section of the Storm.
- Hurricane force winds – 75 to 110mph
- Tropical storm force winds on Friday between 39 to 75 mph;
- An increase in showers and thunderstorm activity today which could result in flooding, possibly 50 to 100 mm/ 2 to 4 inches of rainfall or greater in higher elevation of possibly 6 inches;
- Continued deterioration in sea conditions today from 3.0 m/ 10.0 ft up to 4m or 12.0 ft on Friday night.
- Rivers, streams, gutters and ravines will likely overflow their banks and flood surrounding areas;
- Landslides and rock falls;
- Loose objects could become missiles in gusty winds;
- People living near the coast will be impacted.
Residents should continue to monitor the progress of Hurricane Tammy and ensure that they have their hurricane season plans finalized and activated to protect life, property and livelihood.
The Dominica Meteorological Service will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Please stay tuned to the local weather forecast or check our website for updates on the development of this system.
Prepared By Ithoma James