... A TROPICAL STORM WARNING ISSUED FOR DOMINICA AT 5 PM…
A Tropical Storm Warning was issued for Dominica by The Government of Dominica at 5 PM.
A Tropical Storm Warning means that tropical storm conditions are expected within the warning area, generally within 36 hours.
At 5pm, the center of Tropical Storm Tammy was located near latitude 13.7 North, longitude 56.6 west or about 336 miles east southeast of Dominica.
Tammy is now moving at 13mph towards the west northwest; with a slower motion expected tonight.
Maximum sustained winds are near 60 mph (95 km/h) with higher gusts, extending outward up to 125 miles primarily to the east of the center.
Estimated arrival of earliest Tropical Storm force winds is from Friday afternoon. Impacts are expected across Dominica, mainly Friday afternoon into Saturday.
- Wind - Tropical storm force winds of 39mph to 73mph from Friday;
- Rainfall - An increase in showers and thunderstorm activity from Friday which could result in widespread flooding, possibly 100 to 150 mm/ 4 to 6 inches of rainfall and greater in higher elevation;
- Seas - Deterioration in sea conditions from Thursday night, with waves to 3m/10.0 ft and peaking to 4m or 12.0 ft on Friday night.
- Rivers, streams, gutters and ravines will likely overflow their banks and flood surrounding areas;
- Landslides and rock falls;
- Loose objects could become missiles in gusty winds;
- People living near the coast will be
Residents should ensure that they have their hurricane season plans finalized and activated to protect life, property and livelihood.
The Dominica Meteorological Service and the Office of Disaster Management will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Please stay tuned to the local weather forecast and updates on the development of this system.
For preparedness information go to the ODM website: odm.gov.dm | Facebook page: ODMDominica1 | call ODM Telephone: (767) 266-4412.